1941: Counter Attack is the third game on the 1940 series. It was released in 1990 for the CPS-1 Arcade board and later ported to the PC Engine SuperGrafx. It was also released as part of the Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox and Capcom Classics Collection: Remixed for the PlayStation Portable in 2006.
1941 moves the setting from the Pacific Theater to the Western front in the North Atlantic Ocean. Player 1 controls the traditional Lockheed P-38 Lightning, while the de Havilland Mosquito debuts in this game as the Player 2 ship.
In 1941 the gameplay became more faster paced compared to it's predecessors. The first button is used for shooting, while the second button uses a screen-clearing bomb. The fuel system has been reworked, as now the player has a limited number of hits it can take (three on the machine's default settings). This game also sees the return of the charged shots from the NES version of 1943: The Battle of Midway, which here will vary depending on the weapon equipped.
- POW: Restores one point of health.
- Machine Gun: A fast-firing gun. Fires homing missiles when charged.
- Missile: Adds frontal missiles to the main gun. Fires missiles which travel on the walls when charged.
- Super Shell: Fires piercing lasers. When charged fires a powerful frontal blast.
- Side Fighter: Behaves much like in the previous games, adding two smaller shipes to the player's sides.
- After Image: Adds shadows which mimic the player's movements, firing along with the ship.
- Yashichi: Completely refill the player's health.
Missions and BossesEdit
- Mission 1: Sea Base - Bismarck
- Mission 2: Fortified Zone - V3 Rocket
- Mission 3: The Atlantic - Leviathan
- Mission 4: The City - Krote
- Mission 5: Air Battle - Leviathan
- Mission 6: The Final Battle - Gotha