1943 was ported to the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom in 1988 by Capcom. While it follows the same layout as the Arcade game, it includes many changes exclusive to this version.
In Japan, the game was retitled 1943: The Battle of Valhalla. This was done due to controversy regarding the depiction of the Japanese as enemies. For the same reason, all bosses names were changed to the names of emperors from Romance of the Three Kingdoms and all references to the Imperial Japanese Navy were removed, though the in-game sprites were never changed. The American version retain these changes, but uses the original subtitle.
The major addition in this version is a stats system. Before the game begins, the player is given three points to distribute into various parameters, which affect the plane's ability. By finding Bamboo Sprouts and Fireflies on the stages the player obtains extra points to distribute. The parameters are:
- Offensive Power: Raises the ship's firepower
- Defensive Power: Raises the ship's resistance to damage
- Energy Level: Raises the maximum fuel
- Special Weapon: Unlocks the various special weapons (only the Shotgun is available at the beginning).
- Special Weapon Time Limit: Raises the special weapon's ammuniton