1944: The Loop Master is the fifth game in the 1940 series, and the first one to not be developed by Capcom, which just distributed it. It was developed by Raizing/Eighting and released in 2000 for the CPS-2 Arcade board. It never received home ports.
This title takes the setting back to the Pacific Front of World War II after the departure from 19XX: The War Against Destiny. Players control the Lockheed P-38 Lightning and the Mitsubishi A6M Zero, notably the first time in the series where the player controls a Japanese fighter.
1944 is a return to the series roots, adapted to a more modern style of gameplay. The fuel gauge is back, though it never depletes automatically. There is only one weapon available, a fast firing forward shot, but despite this there are a handful of offensive options available to the player. By destroying parts of the scenery the player can pick up golden icons, which when collecting a certain amount allow the player to pick up the Side Fighters, which can be accumulated and replaced automatically whenever one is lost. Bombs once again have their own stock, creating a powerful screen-clearing blast when used. If the player has no bombs left, he can sacrifice the side fighters for a small explosion.
The main gameplay mechanic in this game is the new charged attack: by holding the shot button, a gauge on the bottom of the screen will fill up, and when full the player fighter will fly higher up, unleashing a strong bullet barrage down and becoming invincible for the duration of the attack. After the attack is finished the gauge will enter a cooldown period, during which the player is unable to charge.
Missions and BossesEdit
- Mission 1: The Deep Blue - High Speed Destroyer "Nagi"
- Mission 2: Iron Beast Warcry - New Type Heavy Tank "Chouto"
- Mission 3: Jungle Fight - Prototype Attacker "Akane"
- Mission 4: The Rock Fortress - Cruising Tank "Noroshi"
- Mission 5: Eagle Territory - Intercontinental Bomber "Kyuoh"
- Mission 6: Devil Mountain - Special Attacker "Haruka"
- Mission 7: Nightmare Valley - Anti-Submarine Battle Cruiser "Kai"
- Mission 8: Fields Of War - Multi-Cannon Tank "Ishizue"
- Mission 9: Muddy Interceptor - Middle Class Bomber "Akatsuki"
- Mission 10: Storm Fortress - Super Gigantic Battleship "Kaijin"
- Mission 11: Oil Legion - Anti-Aircraft Battleship "Yu"
- Mission 12: Leviathan"s Mouth - Twin-Bodied Transporter "Take"
- Mission 13: Battle Of Green Field - Gigantic Fighter "Arashi"
- Mission 14: The Last Duel - Railed Tank "Goku"
- Mission 15: Bell Of Triumph - Moving Fortress "Apparetoride"